Monday, April 19, 2010

A Great Message

I had the opportunity to go to a Stake Women's Conference this last weekend. Sister Jana Staples (of the RS General Board) spoke to us and I really felt like it was something I needed to hear. I love going to church events (without a little one) because I forget how much one good meeting can recharge your batteries and help keep you motivated to keep going.

She talked about a few different things, but there was one part that stood out to me. She talked about how life is made up of 3 different lists and how recognizing what goes on those lists is life changing. Here are the lists:

#1: The essential list-Scriptures, Prayer, and qualifying for a temple recommend.
#2: The necessary list-service, work, cooking, exercising, chores, laundry...
#3: The nice to do list-reading, sports, crafts...

And then she made this statement (roughly quoted): I have tried to live my life with putting the nice to do list first and I can promise you that in most cases, it does not allow you the time for the essential list.

Why this hit home to me:
Every week on Sunday night or Monday morning, I make a to do list for the following week. I have done this for over a year. I thought long and hard about the things she listed and talked about and I realized something. If I am accomplishing the essential list (and most of the time I am) then I shouldn't stress so much about anything else on any other list. What a blessing to know that if I give just that small portion of my time and effort, the Lord will bless me and allow me to feel peace about everything else.

One of the last things she said was; the moments that are the hardest are the best times to grow.
I can't help but think of the stupid things that I "struggle" with, like not getting rid of a little baby weight or Owen teething and being a little more fussy, or whatever it is. I am so blessed and if that is the least of my worries (in a general sense) that it is easy to see that every day brings a new set of blessings. I really feel like I have a lot to be grateful for and I really felt touched by this wonderful speaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment