Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Highlights from an amazing weekend

How do I even begin to express what this last weekend was like for me. I went to Time out for women and I got a whole weekend to myself and just to have some me time. There was a number of incredible speakers, including Sheri Dew, Hillary Weeks, Brad Wilcox...just to name a few. They were all incredible and each had a really personal message to share. I took quite a few notes, and I could since I wasn't trying to hold my sweet little one. :)

On Friday, there was a lot mentioned about influence. One of my favorite quotes was that influence can be invisible. I think of all the people in my life that have profoundly influenced me and made me want to be better and I'm sure they don't even realize it. They just live their lives and are good examples. There was also a lot of emphasis on who we are and what we're doing here. Sometimes it's a good reminder that Heavenly Father doesn't make mistakes and that we are all here at this time and place for a specific purpose.

On Saturday, there were so many good talks. One in particular was very personal to me. Brad Wilcox talked about how Jesus doesn't make up the difference, He makes all the difference. He also talked about how as women we want to be perfect and do all that we can to be a great wife and mother and friend and on and on, but we forget that everyone starts at the bottom and builds their way to the top. And, as long as we are climbing, EVERY offering is sufficient. As a mother and wife, I can recognize times in my life when I feel like, why am I cleaning this room again? Why do I try to do all of this?, but what a blessing to know that Heavenly Father recognizes every sacrifice and what I have to offer is enough.

Another thing that stood out to me was a lot of talk about the atonement. Some other quotes that I liked were that the atonement isn't about us making the most of the atonement; it's about Jesus making the best of us. Another one I liked was that If Christ didn't require anything of us, we would have no need to change. There was good music that was uplifting, a good friend that let me talk her ear off, and a bag full of goodies. And then I got to go home and be with my family, (Both of whom were sick) and so I felt like I got to help and take care of them. I just felt really blessed.

I felt like I started this next week with a new enthusiasm to be better, work harder, and have a better attitude. This helped make it easier when the week started with LOTS of cleaning and taking Owen to the doctor to get blood and stool samples tested. So, life hasn't gotten any easier, but I truly know that Heavenly Father is mindful of me and my little family and wants us to be happy and successful and with His help, I can not fail! What a wonderful weekend and a great time to just get away and be reminded of all my blessings. Here are a few pictures from my weekend.
Sheri Dew. She is a remarkable speaker!

Brad Wilcox. What a teddy bear! He was so happy and encouraging.

Hillary Weeks. Don't forget that I don't photograph well, but oh well.

My amazing friend Daurie. She was sweet enough to sit with me and talk, talk, talk, because most of my social life is someone that doesn't talk yet, and so she was wonderful!

3 comments:

  1. Holy Cow!!! That sounds amazing and I love the excitement that it has put into your life! It put some in mine just reading it. Thanks! Hope the boys are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best kind of medicine :) I am so happy that you got to be spiritually fed, I love those times when you just have the best pep talk and the Spirit is SO strong, you feel like you could conquer anything! yay :) cool pictures.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sheri Dew. wow, Jenny, you are an example to me. Thanks for always making me happier when I'm around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome weekend. So wish I were there to sit with you! Hope your boys are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete