Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Some days....

   There are a number of things about autism that I am not a fan of. One of the hardest and yet most common is the lack of functional communication. It makes me think of when young children are learning new words and only mom and dad know their unique little language. Most of the time, we've learned to work around it. We find other ways to communicate and still keep our sanity. It takes a lot of patience and work for both us (kids and parents). I am so proud of how our kids have learned ways to communicate outside of the norm and to do that calmly (most of the time).


   That being said, when they are sick it is a whole different story. Unless they have a fever or are acting strange, we usually don't have much indication of the way they feel. This is a pain that is fairly hard to describe. It makes you feel helpless and unable to do what it feels like moms do best...make it better. William and Owen both had a stomach bug this last week, and it just was so hard to not let it get to me. I love them more than anything and I wanted nothing more than to help or let them know it would be okay, but I couldn't. I know this and I am trying to accept it.

Being a mom isn't an easy job, but I am so grateful to love that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment